Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How To: Layering Prints

Layering can be a difficult trend to pull off, and I always end up looking more hobo than glam when I try to pair prints or put stripes over tweed or polka dots. Here's a reminder that it can actually be done well. I think the key here is that both of the patterns have the same base colors. They're not exactly matchy matchy but they do go together, meaning they can be worn together without even thinking twice. If the top layer of tweed was purple and brown, forget it. The look wouldn't work. It's the simplest trick, but really it can make or break if you can keep piling on the layers for Fall. I happen to love the effect when it's done well (aka, properly), so I'm going to keep trying. Practice makes perfect.

 (photo: courtesy of New York Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment