Tuesday, December 14, 2010

DESIGNER TO WATCH: Samantha Pleet

When I was in college and one of the only places to shop was Urban Outfitters, i can't even tell you how many times I'd saunter into a party wearing the exact same top as someone else. I thought I was being all cool until someone else nailed the look just as well. So the best way to avoid looking like unintentional (or intentional,even worse!) twinsies, is to find a designer who's still new (or undiscovered) enough that you can wear the cool designs without anyone being the wiser. I guarantee if you wear a little Samantha Pleet, this cool, still under-the-radar designer, no one else is going to be wearing the same thing. Her designs have cool cutaway details and do the whole matchy matchy thing in an ironic way (which is actually kind of cool). I love the long blazer that goes just below the length of the skirt and the use of ribbons as belts and as a nice contrast to the menswear-inspired pieces. Such thoughtful designs that ought to be on anyone's radar--especially if you want to stand apart from the crowd.

 (photo: courtesy of Refinery29)

No comments:

Post a Comment