Sunday, September 26, 2010

How to Shop for Vintage

I think people who "flea" (market, that is) and scour vintage shops are about as cool as they come. Sad news is that I think the Rose Bowl Flea Market is pretty much my own worst nightmare. Vintage stores that require sifting through racks to find one great thing? Waste of time, if you ask me. But how do I deal with the bouts of jealousy when those vintage-loving friends happen upon something amazing because they have the patience I lack? I have to figure out a way to get my own vintage fix without wanting to cry. So I'm going to start small and first use vintage stores as a way to educate myself. This way I'll learn something without the pressure of finding something great to buy. First lesson to be learned: when you sift through older designs, you can see incredible craftsmanship at work. It makes the crap they sell at H&M look like garbage. Take a walk through a vintage store on Melrose, or South Street in Philadelphia, or even down somewhere in SoHo. Run your hands across the garment and take an extra look at the stitching and zipper. Educate yourself on what quality clothes are supposed to look and feel like. It'll make what you actually purchase go the extra mile.


(photo: courtesy of Style With Benefits)

No comments:

Post a Comment